Turtley awesome, dude!
3 May 2019
On the 23rd May it is World Turtle Day!
World Turtle Day aims to make people more aware of the endangered turtle.
Here are five facts about turtles:
1. Turtles belong to one of the oldest reptile groups in the world – beating snakes, crocodiles and alligators! These creatures date back to the time of the dinosaurs, over 200 million years ago – woah!
2. Sea turtles have special glands which help remove salt from the water they drink.
3. What a turtle eats depends on the environment it lives in. Land-dwelling turtles will munch on beetles, fruit and grass, whereas sea dwellers will gobble everything from algae to squid and jellyfish.
4. These cold-blooded creatures have an incredibly long life span. The oldest ever recorded, named Tu”i Malila, of Tonga Island, passed away at the grand old age of 188!
5. Sadly, many species of turtle are endangered! 129 of approximately 300 species of turtle and tortoise on Earth today are either vulnerable, endangered, or critically endangered.
To find books about other creatures who live in the ocean click here.